Caring for our Environment
The Adelaide Convention Centre is one of the country’s greenest convention venues and among world leaders in terms of sustainability. It is a perfect fit for us to hold the festival at this iconic venue. All stakeholders involved with the festival are advised about their obligations and expectations of environmental sustainability. The event is an indoor event which minimizes our impact on the environment.
- Use only appropriate material to supply items at stalls eg. Paper bags not plastic. The Plastic Shopping Bags (Waste Avoidance) Act 2008 prohibits the supply by exhibitors of single use plastic shopping bags with handles that have a manufactured thickness of less than 35 microns.
- Where appropriate, print marketing material on recycled paper and double sided.
- It is the responsibility of the stallholder to ensure waste is sorted into the correct bins provided on the exhibition floor.
Adelaide Convention Centre – Venue Partner:
- Is a Gold EarthCheck certified green venue and promotes the responsible disposal and subsequent recycling and re-using of all materials.
- In 2008 the ACC (Adelaide Convention Centre) established an on-site solar powered worm farm to recycle its organic waste. The Centre sorts scraps before they go to the worm farm and has saved 14,552 tonnes of kitchen scraps from landfill.
- In 2006 the ACC installed a BiobiN composting system which has resulted in 234.6 tonnes of organic waste being recycled.
- Partnering with Foodbank SA and OzHarvest Adelaide to ensure any surplus meals from an unexpected drop in event numbers are put to good use. Disadvantaged and homeless South Australians have now received over 90,000 meals from this initiative.
- Reused or recycled 90% of its exhibition waste.
- Employees formed a volunteer committee called the Green Team to research and develop ideas and mentor other employees in environmentally responsible practices.
- Provides clearly labelled recyclable bins at key locations throughout the festival space, with more placed near the cafe where most waste will be generated
Environmental Activities at the Festival:
- Enlighten Adelaide Directory printed on 100% recycled paper (stated on the publication) was well received by attendees who wanted to keep this as a contact reference guide.
- Working in partnership with the Adelaide Convention Centre and using their infrastructure including waste management and food for homeless initiatives via Foodbank SA and OzHarvest.
- Clearly labelled recycled bin systems throughout the venue space.
- Encourage visitors to car pool or use public transport.
- Accept online ticket sales by viewing them electronically via iphone/mobile, reducing paper usage.
- Use recycled or bio-degradable packaging to serve food in the cafe area.
- Serve drinks in original packaging.
- Ensure exhibitors are aware of their obligations towards waste management by effectively communicating with them prior to the event.
- Festival Director takes notes throughout the event and reports, evaluates and monitors the effectiveness of processes.
- Festival Director conducts a Self Evaluation to address any opportunities for improvement.